2024 FLIP PAGE CATALOG
STOCKING STUFFER SALE
More than 2100 different pieces.
Model with a high degree of detail and prepared for Radio Control
and motorization, (navigable).
This model has several openings on the cover to access the Radio
Control and motorization mechanisms.
It also contains a propeller for the static version, (non-navigable).
The kit, in addition to all the parts for its construction, contains
the following technical elements for Radio Control:
The propeller, propeller shaft, propeller shaft horn with self-lubricating
bearings, rudder blade for Radio Control with hull and servo
Hercules is a 1907-built steam tugboat now preserved at the San Francisco
Maritime National Historical Park in San Francisco, California.
Hercules was built in 1907 by John H. Dialogue and Sons, of Camden, New
Jersey. She was built for the Shipowners’ and Merchants’ Tugboat Company
of San Francisco, as part of their Red Stack Fleet. After completion, Hercules
sailed to San Francisco via the Straits of Magellan with her sister ship,
Goliah, in tow.
For the f irst part of her life, Hercules was an oceangoing tug. Because of
the prevailing northwest winds, sailing ships often employed Hercules and
her sisters on journeys north up the coast f rom San Francisco.
At other times, Hercules was employed towing barges to other ports on the
West Coast and to Hawaii, and in transporting equipment for the
construction of the Panama Canal.
In 1947, she and the tugboat Monarch were given the task of towing the hulk
of the battleship Oklahoma to San Francisco Bay to be scrapped. However,
500 miles from Hawaii, they were struck by a powerful storm and the
Oklahoma began taking on water and sinking, threatening to drag the
two tugs along with her. While the Monarch managed to release her lines,
Hercules could not get f ree until the last moment, narrowly avoiding being
dragged into the deep by the Oklahoma.
The California State Park Foundation acquired Hercules in 1975, and the
National Park Service took over her restoration in 1977. In 1986 she was
designated a National Historic Landmark. She is now one of the exhibits
of the San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park and is to be found
moored at the park’s Hyde Street Pier.